Grilled salmon with sweet barley salad
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup pumpkin, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- oil spray
- ½ cup barley
- ½ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 4 x 100g salmon steaks
- 2 tablespoons olives, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped coriandercilantroX
- 6 cups rocketarugulaX leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons apple ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place pumpkin and onion in an ovenproof dish, spray with oil and roast for 20 to 25 minutes. While veges are roasting, prepare barley.
2 Rinse and drain barley. Place it in pan with stock, garam masala and 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 25-30 minutes.
3 While barley is cooking, place almonds and pumpkin seeds in a dry pan and toast for 2- 3 minutes or until just turning golden. Mix dressing ingredients.
4 Preheat grill and cook salmon for 6 minutes, or until just cooked through.
5 Place cooked barley in a large bowl. Add pumpkin, olives, onion, tomatoes, coriander, rocket and dressing. Toss to mix.
6 Break salmon into chunks and add to salad. Serve sprinkled with the toasted seeds.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 35g
–Saturated fat 8g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us