Grilled salmon with sweet barley salad
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup pumpkin, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- spray oil
- ½ cup barley
- ½ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 4 x 100g salmon steaks
- 2 tablespoons olives, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped coriandercilantroX
- 6 cups rocketarugulaX leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons apple ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place pumpkin and onion in an ovenproof dish, spray with oil and roast for 20 to 25 minutes. While veges are roasting, prepare barley.
2 Rinse and drain barley. Place it in pan with stock, garam masala and 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 25-30 minutes.
3 While barley is cooking, place almonds and pumpkin seeds in a dry pan and toast for 2- 3 minutes or until just turning golden. Mix dressing ingredients.
4 Preheat grill and cook salmon for 6 minutes, or until just cooked through.
5 Place cooked barley in a large bowl. Add pumpkin, olives, onion, tomatoes, coriander, rocket and dressing. Toss to mix.
6 Break salmon into chunks and add to salad. Serve sprinkled with the toasted seeds.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 35g
–Saturated fat 8g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information