Ginger chicken with Asian greens
(at time of publication)
- 4 chicken legs (thigh and drumstick 900g-1kg total), skin removed
- 2 spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths, plus extra, to garnish
- 10cm lemongrass stalk, bruised
- 3 cloves garlic, bruised
- 6cm piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, halved lengthways, plus extra, sliced, to garnish (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup Chinese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 bunches broccolini, trimmed
- 2 bunches Asian greens, cut into 8cm lengths
- 4 cups steamed basmati rice, to serve
1 Place all ingredients (except broccolini, Asian greens and rice) in a large saucepan that has a lid. Add 2 litres water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Switch off heat, cover pan and leave chicken to stand in broth for 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
2 Remove strips of chicken from bones. Boil, microwave or steam broccolini and Asian greens for 2 minutes, or until just tender.
3 Toss chicken with broccolini and greens, garnish with extra spring onions and chilli (if using) and serve with steamed rice.
Make it gluten free: Check soy sauce and five spice are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information