Garlic and chilli kale pasta
- 120g penne pasta
- 2 ½ cups shredded kale
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups diced pumpkin
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly shaved parmesan cheese (optional)
1 Cook pasta in boiling water until tender. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons pasta water. Set aside.
2 Place kale in a colander and pour boiling water over. Leave to stand for 1 minute then shake off water.
3 Heat oil in a large non-stick pan. Add garlic and chilli. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add pumpkin and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add kale and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender.
4 Add cooked pasta to pan with reserved cooking water and toss to combine. Serve with pepper and parmesan (if using).
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 7g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta.
Kale cooking tips
- To prepare kale, break leaves from the stalk and trim away the tough centre stalk. Wash then shred or chop.
- Kale is normally boiled or stir-fried. For whole leaves, rinse then put in a pan without shaking off the water. Cover and cook for up to 2 minutes until wilted. Drain thoroughly.
- For chopped or shredded kale, place the leafy green in a pan of water 1cm deep with a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for up to 5 minutes until wilted. Drain thoroughly.
- To freeze kale, wash leaves thoroughly and cut off stems. Plunge kale into boiling water for 2 minutes then quickly douse in ice-cold water. Drain off excess moisture before packing in airtight containers or freezer bags. Freeze immediately.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us