French onion soup
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.2kg onions, peeled, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 6 cups water
- 12 x 1cm-thick slices baguette (French-style bread stick)
- ¼ cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1 Heat spread and oil in a large, deep saucepan over a medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 25-35 minutes or until golden. Add sugar and stir to blend. Add flour and stir to blend.
2 Slowly add stock and water, stirring constantly, until combined. Bring to the boil then reduce heat. Simmer for 25 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, preheat grill to high. Place bread slices on a baking tray. Grill both sides until golden. Sprinkle with cheeses. Grill until cheese has melted.
4 Ladle soup into bowls and serve with cheese toasts.
Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free. Use gluten-free flour and bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us