French onion soup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.2kg onions, peeled, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 6 cups water
- 12 x 1cm-thick slices baguette (French-style bread stick)
- 1/4 cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
- Heat spread and oil in a large, deep saucepan over a medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 25-35 minutes or until golden. Add sugar and stir to blend. Add flour and stir to blend.
- Slowly add stock and water, stirring constantly, until combined. Bring to the boil then reduce heat. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to high. Place bread slices on a baking tray. Grill both sides until golden. Sprinkle with cheeses. Grill until cheese has melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with cheese toasts.
Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free. Use gluten-free flour and bread.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us