Father’s Day lamb skewers
- 400g lean lamb steaks
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 red, orange or yellow capsicum
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 courgette
- 4 button mushrooms
- 4 large (70g) wholemeal pita
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 cups rocketarugulaX or lettuce
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
1 Cut meat in cubes (about 2cm x 2cm). Mix lemon juice with garlic and pour over meat. Leave for 15 minutes and only then heat oven grill to 220°C.
2 Wash vegetables. Cut capsicum in slices of similar size to meat. Peel onion, cut in half and separate layers. Slice courgette. Halve each mushroom. Thread veges and meat onto 8 skewers, taking care to include every type of vegetable on every skewer. For best results, alternate each meat cube with a vege.
3 Grill skewers for 8 minutes until medium brown. Serve with wholemeal pita, sliced tomatoes, rocket or lettuce leaves and yoghurt.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pita and check yoghurt is gluten free.
- Put a dried apricot onto each skewer for a hint of zesty sweetness.
- For extra taste, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme onto skewers just before cooking.
- Adding 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika or ground coriander seeds will add a deeper flavour to the dish.
- If Dad prefers beef, use beef steaks.
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before you start — this will stop the ends from burning in the oven.
- Be careful if you are using metal skewers, the ends will get extremely hot.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us