Eggplant caponata with cheesy potato topping
- 4 large potatoes, peeled, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 eggplantaubergineX, diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes*
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste*
- ½ cup pitted black olives, cut in half
- ¼ cup capers
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon reduced-fat spread
- dash trim milk
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese*
- salt and black pepper, to season
- *NOTE: Ingredients with an asterisk (*) indicate that although this ingredient is usually gluten-free, it's wise to check the label to be sure as product ingredients can vary and formulations can change.
1 Fill a large saucepan with cold water. Add potatoes and boil for 10 minutes until soft to mash. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2 Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, heat oil on a medium heat and add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add celery and eggplant and cook for 3 more minutes until vegetables soften and brown. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in olives, capers and basil then remove from heat.
3 Drain then return potatoes to saucepan. Add spread and milk. Mash until smooth then add half the parmesan. Season to taste and combine well.
4 Pour tomato mixture into a large baking dish then pile the potato on top in even amounts and spread with a fork to cover. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top.
5 Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 6g
Vegetables or salad
Add some pesto to the mashed potato.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us