- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 250g skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 75g chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup paella rice, such as calasparra
- pinch saffron strands, soaked in 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 very low-salt chicken stock cube, dissolved in 1½ cups boiling water
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 roasted red capsicum from a jar, sliced
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- 250g raw peeled and deveined king prawns
- fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, and lemon wedges, to garnish
1 Heat half the oil in a large non-stick paella pan or frying pan (that has a lid) over a medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, for 3–4 min until golden, then transfer to a plate.
2 Return the pan to a medium heat and add the remaining oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and chorizo and cook, stirring, for 5 min. Add the paprika and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 min or until fragrant. Stir in the rice to coat in the oil.
3 Add the saffron in its soaking liquid to the pan with the chicken stock, tomatoes and reserved chicken and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 20–25 min until the rice is almost tender, adding a little more water if it becomes too dry.
4 Remove the lid, then top the rice mixture with the roasted pepper, broccoli, peas and prawns. Cover again and cook for 5–6 min until the vegetables are just tender and the prawns are pink and cooked through. Serve garnished with the parsley and lemon wedges.
You can easily make this dish gluten and dairy free – use a gluten-free stock cube and check the ingredients of the chorizo (some brands contain wheat and may also contain milk products).
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10.8g
–Saturated fat 3.3g
Dietary fibre 9.3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.