Curried lamb mince with nutty cabbageReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 200g lamb mince
- ¼ cup red lentils
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- ¼ cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (red or white, or a combination)
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup plain low-fat yoghurt (optional)
- In a large pan, heat half of the oil over medium-high. Add ginger, half of the spring onion and 1 the cloves of garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add spices and chilli. Turn heat to high and add mince. Cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add red lentils and stock to the pan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until lentils are cooked. Add water if needed. Add peas and stir through. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- In a separate frying pan, heat remaining oil over high. Add remaining garlic and spring onion and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add cabbage and peanuts and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until cooked through but still crunchy.
- Serve mince mixture with cabbage. Garnish with plain yoghurt and extra spring onions if using.
Make it gluten free: Check ground spices and stock are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use a vegan mince substitute, vegan stock and soy yoghurt.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information