Crispy vegetable cakes with steak
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 800g kumara, cooked, mashed (orange kumara work best)
- oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder, curry powder or Moroccan seasoning
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, grated or chopped
- 2 carrots, grated or chopped
- 1 cup corn sweetcornXkernels
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 small lean beef steaks (100g each)
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
1 Place mash in a large bowl. Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little oil spray. Cook onion until softened. Add chosen seasoning and cook for a few more minutes.
2 Spray pan with a little more oil and add grated (or chopped) vegetables. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add to kumara mash. Mix well and stir in corn.
3 Divide mixture into 8 even- sized patties. Toss in breadcrumbs. Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little more oil spray and cook cakes for 4 minutes each side, half at a time until lightly golden.
4 Keep warm while steaks are pan-fried with a little more oil spray. Serve 2 cakes with steak.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of spices (or seasoning) and breadcrumbs.
The vege cakes mixture can be made up in advance, ready for cooking. Keep mixture chilled in the fridge.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us