Creamy mushroom and coconut soup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 850g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1½ cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- ½ cup light coconut milk, plus extra 2 tablespoons
- cracked black pepper
- spray oil
- 4 slices wholegrain sourdough, toasted
- 1 medium ripe avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut flakes, to serve
- fresh herbs, to garnish (optional)
Total fat 24g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 13g
1 In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 6-7 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
2 Increase heat to high. Add all but 1½ cups of the mushrooms to pan and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes, or until golden. Add potatoes, stock and 1½ cups water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes, or until potato is tender.
3 Set aside to cool, then blend in batches until smooth. Return soup to a clean saucepan, stir in coconut milk and place over a medium heat. Season well with pepper.
4 Meanwhile, spray a medium non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over a high heat. Fry reserved mushrooms, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until golden.
5 Spread toast with mashed avocado and season with pepper. Divide soup among 4 bowls. Top with fried mushrooms, coconut flakes, a drizzle of extra coconut milk and garnish with herbs, if using. Serve soup with avocado toast.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check stock is gluten free.
Make it vegan: Check the sourdough is vegan.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.