Creamy black-eyed beans
(at time of publication)
- 1 ½ cups (300g) dried black-eyed beans, soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 400g can Wattie’s Indian-style tomatoes
- 250g mushrooms, cut in half, thick slices or leave whole
- ½ teaspoon dried red chilli flakes, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried cumin
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups diced pumpkin
- 2 cups green beans (frozen baby beans are ideal)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Turn slow cooker on to low. Drain soaked beans then boil beans in fresh water for at least 10 minutes. Drain, then add to slow cooker.
2 Add all the remaining ingredients except pumpkin and green beans. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
3 Add pumpkin and green beans, turn heat to high and cook for 30-60 more minutes or until pumpkin is cooked. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Serve with rice and salad. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
Make it gluten free: Check flavoured tomatoes, spices and tomato sauce are gluten free.
To save a little time at the end, steam pumpkin and beans before adding. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information