Country beef and vege pieReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g blade steak, trimmed, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- freshly ground black pepper
- 350ml gluten-free beef stock
- 410g can tomato purée
- 400g mushrooms, chopped
- 3 large courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, cut into chunks
- 2 medium unpeeled potatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 small (about 600g) cauliflower, trimmed, cut into florets
- olive oil spray
1 Preheat oven to 190°C. Heat half the olive oil in a large, deep saucepan set over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 2—3 minutes, or until soft.
2 Dust steak with flour and pepper. Add floured steak to pan and cook for 3—4 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Add beef stock, tomato purée, mushrooms, courgettes, potatoes and rosemary; simmer for 1 hour. Remove pan from heat and leave to cool.
3 Blitz a quarter of the cauliflower in a food processor until texture resembles fine rice; transfer to a medium bowl. Repeat process with remaining cauliflower. Add remaining olive oil to bowl; stir until mixture is well combined.
4 Grease 6 x 1 1/2-cup-capacity pie dishes. Divide beef filling among dishes. Spoon cauliflower mixture over filling and spray with olive oil. Transfer dishes to oven and bake for 40 minutes or until golden. Remove pies from oven, leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information