Chunky chicken, bean and vege pot
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus
- spray oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons mild chilli paste (we used Gourmet Garden)
- 2 cloves star anise
- 200g dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 150g dried apricots, chopped
- 200g potato, chopped
- 1 kumarasweet-potatoX (200g), skin on, chopped
- 350g butternut squash, skin on
- 1 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock, plus 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornflourcornstarchX (optional), to thicken
- To serve
- freshly chopped parsley
- crusty grainy bread
1 Preheat slow cooker to low. Cook onion with garlic in the oil in a non-stick pan until softened. Place in cooker. Add chicken to pan with a little spray oil and brown.
2 Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients, adding the liquid last. Mix well. Cover and cook for 6—7 hours.
3 Season to taste. To thicken the sauce, mix some of the liquid with the cornflour to form a paste. Stir into the dish until thickened.
4 Serve with chopped parsley and crusty bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 15g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check chilli paste, stock and cornflour are gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us