Christmas spice biscuits
Time to make: 35 mins
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup (150g) plain flourall purpose flourX
- ½ cup (80g) wholemeal plain flourall purpose flourX
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup (30g) ground almonds
- 100g reduced-fat spread
- ⅓ cup (75g) brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon golden syrupmaple syrup corn syrupX
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (160g) icingfrostingX sugar
- 1-1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- silver cachous for decoration
1 Preheat the oven to 170°C and line 2 biscuit trays with baking paper.
2 Sift the flours, baking powder and spices. Return husks of wholemeal flour to flour mix and stir in almond meal.
3 Cream the spread, sugar, golden syrup and vanilla essence until combined. Beat in egg until smooth. Fold in flour mix and stir until combined.
4 Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
5 Roll out dough between 2 pieces of baking paper until 4mm thick. Use biscuit cutters to cut out biscuits and place on trays. Re-roll dough again using up scraps and cut out more biscuits.
6 Cook for 10 minutes, swap trays and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until lightly golden and just firm. Leave on tray for 5 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
7 To make icing sift icing sugar and stir in lemon juice until icing is smooth. Use a piping bag to pipe on icing swirls and decorate with cachous.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3.8g
–Saturated fat 0.5g
Dietary fibre 1g
This dough freezes well.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.