Chilli beef with cashews and greens
(at time of publication)
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 150g lean sirloin steak
- 3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 4 cups chopped choy sum leaves and stalks (see tips)
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 4cm piece ginger, finely sliced
- 2 cups sliced green beans (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup shelled frozen edamame beans, thawed
- ¼ cup toasted cashew nuts
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, to serve
- crispy seaweed, sliced, to garnish (optional)
- In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil over high. Add steak and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from pan and rest.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine sauces and remaining sesame oil with 1/4 cup hot water. Set aside.
- Return pan to a medium-high heat. Add choy sum, garlic, ginger and green beans and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add edamame beans and stir-fry for 2 more minutes.
- Slice beef in 1cm slices. Add beef and any juices back to pan. Remove pan from heat, then add sauce and let bubble and reduce, returning to heat if necessary. Add cashews and stir.
- Divide rice and beef between 2 plates. Garnish with crispy seaweed, if desired.
Make it vegan: Use cubed tofu instead of beef and check sweet chilli sauce is vegan.
Find choy sum in some supermarkets or in Asian grocery stores or use gai lan, silver beet or spinach.
Make extra brown rice and store in the fridge to use in the Avocado sushi bowl.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $74. Just grab your shopping list and get dinner done!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 25g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us