- oil spray
- 350g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, halved, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup corn sweetcornXkernels (defrosted if frozen)
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano or dried oregano
- black pepper, to taste
- 6 x 25cm wholemeal wraps (we used Mountain Bread)
- ¼ cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat cheese (we used Noble)
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, finely diced
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup chopped coriandercilantroX leaves, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Spray chicken lightly with oil, place on the tray and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes until cooked but still tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion begins to soften. Add tomatoes, carrot, corn, mushrooms, spinach and beans and bring to a simmer. Season with oregano and pepper. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven, drain juice from tray and shred with two forks. Add to tomato mixture. Divide the mixture among the wraps (reserving some for grown-up tortillas, if desired; see note left). Roll tortillas into cigars and lay next to each other in the baking tray. Spread a little enchilada sauce on each roll and sprinkle cheese over.
- Place tray in the oven and cook until the tortillas are golden and the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve enchiladas with lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream and garnish with coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 13g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free tortillas and check that enchilada sauce, sour cream and chipotle sauces (if using) are gluten free.
Tweak the taste: Once you have filled all the kids’ tortillas, stir 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeno peppers and/or 2 tablespoons hot chipotle sauce through the remainder of the chicken mix. Fill the other tortillas with this mix and cook on a separate tray so you don’t get confused at serving up time! Serve with additional jalapeno peppers and hot sauce.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us