Chicken, spinach and potato bake
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 4 x 150g skinless chicken breast fillets
- 500g new potatoes, halved (quartered if large)
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 400g can no-added-salt whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 medium courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, thickly sliced
- ½ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 6 balls bocconcini, torn
- cracked black pepper, to season
- fresh basil, to serve
- 4 slices toasted grainy sourdough, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 160°C. In a large, deep roasting dish, on the stove-top, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high. Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden. Transfer to a plate. In the chicken dish, cook potatoes, turning often, for 4-5 minutes until hot and golden. Transfer to a plate.
2 To the dish add remaining oil. Sauté onion, garlic and chilli over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until onion is tender. Add browned potatoes, tomatoes, courgettes and stock. Break up tomatoes using a wooden spoon, cover and bring to the boil. Add chicken and stir in. Transfer dish to the oven and bake, covered, for 30-35 minutes, or until chicken and potatoes are just cooked through.
3 Remove cover and stir through spinach. Arrange bocconcini on the chicken and season with pepper. Cover and bake for 5 more minutes, or until bocconcini melts. Scatter with basil and serve with toasted sourdough to mop up pan juices.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check stock is gluten free.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information