Chicken pot pie with creamy broccoli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped Swiss brown mushrooms
- 300g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 2cm pieces
- ⅔ cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, plus 1 extra teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups roughly chopped spinach, gai lan or silver beet leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 sheets filo pastry
- oil spray
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 190°C. In a large pan, heat half the oil over a medium-high heat. Add carrot, spring onion, garlic and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes, until softened. Add mushrooms and stir, cooking for a further 5 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked. Remove vegetable mix from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan and add chicken. Cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes, until just cooked through. Return veges to pan.
- In a bowl, combine stock, 1/3 cup water, 2 tablespoons mustard and flour and stir with a fork until well combined. Add to vege mix and combine. Add spinach or other greens and stir to combine. Season generously with black pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Place chicken and vege mix in a casserole or baking dish. Scrunch up filo sheets and arrange on top. Spray with oil. Bake in the oven for around 5-8 minutes, until filo is golden and crisp.
- While pie is in the oven, steam or microwave broccoli until tender (about 2 minutes). Place in a bowl and add sour cream and remaining teaspoon of the mustard. Stir well to coat broccoli. Season with black pepper. Serve with chicken pie.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 29g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 10g
This chicken mixture is great as a casserole on its own, served with mash. Make double and freeze for another night.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $82. Just grab the shopping list and you’re ready!
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us