- 4 x 125g skinless chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- 60g grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- oil spray
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cups passata
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ cup (60g) freshly grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
1 Butterfly each chicken breast (see tips). Mix breadcrumbs with three-quarters of the parmesan.
2 Dip each breast in egg then in breadcrumb mix. Chill while preparing sauce.
3 Preheat oven to 190°C. To make sauce, spray a pan with oil. Cook onion and mushrooms until softened. Add passata with garlic, sugar and oregano. Simmer for 5-6 minutes.
4 Fry chicken in a non-stick pan for 5 minutes each side, 2 breasts at a time.
5 Pour sauce into a shallow ovenproof dish. Add chicken. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and cheddar cheese. Cook for 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 3g
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and check dried oregano is gluten free.
- Make it a meal! Serve with Broccoli, lentil and mushroom salad.
Step-by-step butterflying chicken breasts
Step 1 Use a sharp knife to cut down the centre of each chicken breast to a depth of three-quarters of the way through.
Step 2 Open the breast up like a book.
Step 3 Cover with plastic wrap.
Step 4 Use a rolling pin to beat and flatten out the breast to about 1cm thickness.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us