Chicken, leek and mushroom pie
- oil spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 900g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed, chopped in 2-3cm pieces
- 1 large leek, white part only and cut in 1cm slices
- 4 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 stalks celery, sliced finely
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 ½ cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 cup trim milk
- pinch salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 sheets pre-rolled frozen reduced-fat puff or flaky pastry
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Lightly grease a pie dish with oil spray. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown for a couple of minutes. Don’t worry if not completely cooked through. Set chicken aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook vegetables until they start to soften. Add herbs and stock and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, create a smooth paste with cornflour and some of the milk. Add paste, remaining milk and salt and pepper to pan. Add chicken. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add mixture to pie dish. Cover pie with pastry sheets, sealing edges with your fingers. Slice across into pastry top with a knife to allow steam to escape. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 5g
To make ahead, once cool, place pie tin in freezer bag and freeze for up to 4 weeks. Reheat at 180°C until piping hot.
Make double the pie filling and refrigerate half for up to 2 days. Reheat thoroughly and serve on brown rice with wilted spinach or steamed broccoli.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us