Chicken and mushroom Provençal
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (600g)
- 1 tablespoon mixed peppercorns, roughly crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves only
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 shallots, peeled, sliced
- 2 cups button mushrooms, halved
- 2 cups brown or chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ¹/³ cup tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup red wine
- boiling water
- To serve
- 4 slices sourdough bread, lightly toasted
- a few sprigs fresh thyme
1 Using a rolling pin, flatten chicken thighs. In a freezer bag, place chicken, peppercorns, garlic, half of the herbs and half of the oil.
2 In a pan, heat remaining oil and cook shallots with remaining herbs until lightly golden. Set aside to cool. In a second freezer bag, place shallots, mushrooms and cannellini beans.
3 In jug, combine tomato paste, mustard, wine and ½ cup water. Pour into a third freezer bag.
4 Seal each bag well, shake to combine ingredients, flatten to remove any air, and clearly label. Place flat in the freezer together.
5 Two hours before cooking, remove all bags from freezer. Preheat slow cooker for 5 minutes on low. Empty in the contents of the freezer bags – chicken first, then mushrooms then sauce. Add 1 cup boiling water. Use a large spoon to break up ingredients a little.
6 Cover and cook for 7-8 hours. Adjust seasoning. Serve with toasted bread and thyme.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 15g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check tomato paste and mustard are gluten free.
Handy hints for slow-cooker freezer bags
Make sure you use proper freezer bags.
- Remove all air from the bags once they are filled.
- Label each bag clearly including the date of freezing.
- Freeze recipe bags in a group together.
- Keep bags as flat as possible when freezing.
- Remove bags from the freezer at least two hours before placing in the slow cooker. Or remove the bags from the freezer the night before, store in the fridge and reduce the amount of boiling water added to them by half.
- Preheat slow cooker before adding the bag contents.
- Always add meat portion to the cooker first.
- Always add liquid bag last.
- Add boiling water to the cooker as the last ingredient when stated in a recipe.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us