Cheddar, bean and coriander-stuffed kumara
(at time of publication)
- 4 orange kumarasweet-potatoX
- cracked black pepper
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh coriandercilantroX leaves
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Prick kumara all over with a sharp knife. Place in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high for 10 minutes, or until soft.
2 When cool enough to handle, cut a long opening into the top of each kumara, being careful to leave ends uncut. Using a tea towel to hold kumara, scoop out centres, leaving 1cm-thick shells.
3 Place kumara flesh in a bowl and season with pepper. Mash with a fork. Stir in spring onion, chilli (if using), kidney beans and half the coriander. Spoon the filling back into kumara shells. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
4 Place kumara on prepared tray. Bake for 10 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining coriander and serve.
- To bake kumara (instead of microwaving), preheat oven to 180°C. Place kumara on a baking tray, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 45 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool slightly before continuing from step 2.
- To make this a more substantial meal, add 450g coleslaw mix, dressed with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar.
- To up the protein, add more cheese, or serve with a small lean steak.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us