Cauliflower and potato fritters with winter spinach and roasted carrot salad
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3 carrots, sliced lengthwise
- spray oil
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 2 cups finely chopped cauliflower
- 2 small agria potatoes, grated
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons spicy relish or chutney (optional)
- fresh herbs, eg, thyme, baby basil, to garnish (optional)
Total fat 28g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 12g
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. In a baking dish, place carrots and spray with oil. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, until soft. Remove from oven and combine with spinach in a bowl.
2 While carrots cook, in a bowl, combine cauliflower, potato, spring onion, flour, eggs, spices, salt and parmesan. Spray a large frying pan with oil and heat over medium-high. Place large spoonfuls of fritter mixture in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden. Repeat with remaining batter to make six fritters.
3 Line a baking dish with baking paper and place fritters on it. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes to cook through.
4 In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make dressing. Add to carrot and spinach. Add pumpkin seeds.
5 Serve fritters with salad, yoghurt and relish, if using. Garnish with pepper and herbs, if using.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and check ground spices and relish or chutney are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use relish instead of eggs as a binder. Use plain coconut yoghurt and vegan parmesan.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.