(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mild or hot curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriandercilantroX
- 750g skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in 6-8 chunky pieces
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup light evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- ½ cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, to taste
1 Set a medium to large-sized slow cooker to low. Heat oil in a large pan. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are clear but not browned. Stir in ginger, curry powder, cumin and coriander. Cook for about 1 more minute.
2 Add chicken to pan over a moderate heat. Tip pan contents into slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, evaporated milk, tomato paste and garam masala. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
3 Stir in yoghurt and sugar. Season with salt. Leave for another 15-20 minutes (on longer cooking the yoghurt may separate). Serve on rice with poppadums and a cucumber and tomato salad on the side.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free curry powder, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, yoghurt and cornflour (if using).
If sauce seems too thin, before adding garam masala, add about 1 tablespoon arrowroot, potato starch or cornflour mixed to a paste with warm water.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us