Brown lentil, chickpea and vegetable soup
- spray oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups kumarasweet-potatoX, cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 400g tin brown lentils in water, drained
- 400g tin chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX in water, drained
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 tablespoon low-fat plain yoghurt, chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and 4 toasted sourdough slices, to serve
1 Put a large saucepan over a medium heat and spray with a little oil. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 6–7 min until softened. Add the garlic and oregano and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
2 Add the kumara and cook for 1 min, then add the stock, lentils, chickpeas and tomatoes with 1¼ cups water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15–20 min until the sweet potato cubes are tender.
3 Add the green beans to the pan and simmer for 3–4 min until the beans are tender-crisp.
Top with the yoghurt and chopped parsley, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and serve with the toasted sourdough slices on the side.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4.4g
–Saturated fat 1.2g
Dietary fibre 15.4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.