Braised spicy mushrooms and tofu
Time to make: 30 mins
( Hands-on time: 30 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced, plus extra to garnish (optional)
- 4cm piece ginger, sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (portobello, Swiss brown or a mix)
- 297g pack Japanese firm tofu
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 cup salt-reduced stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 2 cups spinach leaves
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 12g
1 Cook rice according to packet instructions. Meanwhile, in a frying pan, heat sesame oil over medium-high. Add garlic, onion and ginger and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and stir-fry for 5 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
2 Add tofu, broccoli, stock, sauces and sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes, adding a little water if needed.
3 In a small bowl, combine cornflour with a little water to make a paste. Add to pan and stir for a few minutes until slightly thickened. Add spinach and stir to wilt.
4 Serve mushrooms and tofu with rice, garnished with extra spring onions and chilli sauce if desired.
Make it gluten free: Check tofu, stock, sauces and cornflour are gluten free.