(at time of publication)
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriandercilantroX, plus extra 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 4 teaspoons medium curry paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 390g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup liquid beef stock (use a beef stock cube mixed with boiling water)
- 4 tablespoons sultanasgolden raisinsX
- 1 ½ cups couscous
1 Brown mince in a non-stick pan without added fat. Add onion. Cook to soften.
2 Add remaining ingredients, except couscous, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes.
3 To cook couscous, place in a large bowl and pour over 2 cups boiling water. Cover. Leave to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff up with a fork. Serve couscous with bobotie and garnish with extra coriander.
Old favourite: Lasagne (per serve)
Ingredients: beef mince, cheese, pasta, tomato sauce
Total energy 2400kJ
Total fat 31g (15g saturated fat)
New favourite: Bobotie (per serve)
Total energy 2110kJ
Total fat 9g (4g saturated fat)
Why it’s better
Cheaper – save $7.00
Legumes add fibre
Less total and saturated fat
Takes less time – save 25 minutes
Tasty alternative with a little spice
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information