(at time of publication)
- 3 large eggs
- 175g (¾ cup) castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- few drops vanilla essence
- 225g strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blackcurrants
- 3 cups low fat fruit yoghurt
1 Preheat oven to 130ºC. Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
2 Place egg whites in a large glass bowl and leave to come to room temperature. Whisk on a low speed. Gradually increase speed until frothy. Continue whisking until whites are stiff and form peaks.
3 Whisk in a third of the sugar at a time. Make sure it is well mixed before adding more.
4 Use a metal spoon to fold in cornflour, vinegar and vanilla essence. Spoon meringue onto prepared baking tray. Shape into a 23cm round, making a hollow in the centre.
5 Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, until meringue is firm and crisp on the outside. Cool thoroughly before removing greaseproof paper. Cool before filling. For the filling, slice strawberries. In a bowl, mix blackcurrants with yoghurt. Spoon into centre of meringue. Add strawberries and chill for 20 minutes. Serve decorated with fresh mint.
- Mini meringues (for bite-sized meringues): Pipe 30 swirls and bake at 130ºC for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely, then drizzle with a little melted chocolate (about 75g for this quantity).
- Sandwich meringues: Fill a piping bag with meringue mixture. Pipe 12 meringue swirls on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, leaving space between them. Bake in oven at 130ºC for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve as single meringues or sandwich together with 150g reduced fat cream cheese mixed with 2 tablespoons honey or 150g Greek yoghurt with added honey. Sprinkle with a little cocoa before serving.
Make it gluten free:
Check cornflour and yoghurt are gluten free
See Step-by-step: Meringue for handy tips to ensure perfect meringues every time.
For our desserts we normally set a limit on free sugars. But pavlova and meringue are always going to be higher in free sugars; there’s no way around it. So keep in mind and save these for a special occasion.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
Last updated date: 8 January 2019
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us