Beef satay with fragrant yellow rice
- 12 long bamboo sticks, pre-soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 limes, juice
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups white rice
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric or 1 tablespoon grated fresh turmeric
- 400g beef schnitzel, cut in strips
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut in half or 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 500g green beans, cut in even lengths
- 4 large tomatoes, cut in wedges
1 Roast peanuts in hot oven for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden. Add to processor or blender with garlic, soy sauce, salt and lime juice. Blend to a paste. Add coconut milk gradually to make a thick sauce.
2 Place rice in a bowl. Mix turmeric with 1/2 cup water and pour over rice. Cover with water and soak for 10-15 minutes. Drain.
3 Thread beef on satay sticks. If beef is thin, double the thickness when threading. Bring water and lemongrass to the boil then add rice and cover. Cook on low for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes.
4 Preheat BBQ plate or wok to high heat. Cook beef for 3-4 minutes each side and place on a serving platter. Add oil to wok and stir-fry beans for a few minutes. Add tomatoes and toss quickly to cook.
5 Pour a little satay sauce over beef sticks and serve alongside yellow rice and stir-fried vegetables.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 8g
- Add 1-2 small fresh chillies to satay sauce recipe and season with fish sauce.
- Make it gluten free: Check sweet soy sauce and ground turmeric are gluten free.
If using fresh turmeric, mix into half a cup of water and drain before adding to rice to soak.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.