Beef ‘n’ bean burger
- 1 cup red kidney beans, mashed
- 400g lean beef mince
- 4 spring onions, white part only, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh whole grain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- cooking oil spray
- 2 small red onions, cut in 1cm-thick rings
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 8 slices beetrootbeetsX
- 4 multigrain bread rolls, toasted
- 4 tablespoons tomato salsa
- In a large bowl, combine beans, mince, spring onions, breadcrumbs and egg. Using your hands, shape mixture into four 1.5cm-thick patties. Refrigerate, covered, for 15 minutes to firm.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil. Over a medium-high heat, cook patties for 4-5 minutes each side, or until just cooked through. Remove and keep warm. Spray pan with more oil and cook red onion for 2 minutes each side.
- Place a lettuce leaf and a slice beetroot on the base of each bun. Serve topped with a patty, beetroot slice, onion rings and a spoonful of salsa.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 10g
Make it meat-free: Omit beef mince and use 2 cups of mashed pumpkin instead. Adjust the amount of breadcrumbs accordingly.
Double pattie recipe and freeze extras to use later in the week or in other meals. Simply defrost, cook and serve.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us