Beef cheek rendang
Time to make: 2 hrs 30 mins , (1 1/2 - 2 hours slow cook)
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 4 beef cheeks or osso bucco (800g), sinew trimmed and cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 tablespoon peeled and sliced ginger
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 dried long red chillies, seeds removed, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped curry leaves (optional)
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced lengthwise
- ½ x 400ml can light coconut milk
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 cups steamed greens
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 9g
1 Spray a cast iron, lidded, deep pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. When hot enough, brown the beef each side. Remove from pan and set aside.
2 In the same pan, reduce heat to medium, sauté ginger, onion, chilli, garlic and curry leaves, if using, for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric and curry powder and cook a further 2 minutes, stirring well. Return beef to the pan. Add peanuts, coconut, lemongrass, coconut milk and 2 cups water.
3 Cover and simmer for 1½ to 2 hours, until beef is soft. Check by stirring the rendang throughout cooking to ensure there is enough liquid and it doesn’t stick.
4 Serve with brown rice and steamed greens.
Make it gluten free: Check ground spices are gluten free.
Make it low FODMAP: Use 1 cup of finely sliced green leek leaves instead of onion and 2 tablespoons of garlic-infused oil instead of garlic.