Beef and bean burgers with mushroom buns
(at time of publication)
- 400g can black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 400g lean beef mince
- 8 large flat mushrooms, stalks removed, wiped with wet paper towel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- black pepper
- 8 slices (80g) Swiss cheese
- ½ iceberg lettuce, leaves torn
- 1 tablespoon American mustard
- 8 slices canned beetrootbeetsX
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 8 slices pickled jalapeno
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking dish with baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine black beans and beef. Using wet hands, form mixture into 4 patties.
- Place mushrooms on prepared tray. Drizzle over 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with pepper. Cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a non-stick frying-pan over medium-high. Cook patties for 3 minutes each side, or until browned and cooked through to your liking. Place a slice of cheese on each patty and return to oven until melted. Remove from oven.
- Top four mushrooms, stalk side up, with lettuce. Layer on patty, mustard, beetroot, carrot, onion and jalapenos. Top with remaining mushroom ‘lid’, skewer and serve immediately.
Make it gluten free: Check mustard is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us