Beef and ale casserole with herby dumplings
Time to make: 2 hrs 40 mins
( Hands-on time: 30 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 shallots, sliced
- 550g cubed lean beef
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lightly dried mixed herbs (see Cook’s tip)
- 4 teaspoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 6 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 6 medium carrots, quartered and cut into chunks
- 1 cup Guinness or dark ale
- 1 cup reduced-salt beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups self-raising flour, plus 2 tablespoons for kneading
- pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
- 2 tablespoons lightly dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 cup trim milk
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- oil spray
- 6 cups broccoli florets, steamed, to serve
Total fat 21g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 10g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In an ovenproof pan or casserole dish, heat oil over medium heat and cook shallots until lightly golden. Add beef and cook until evenly browned.
- Add paste, herbs and flour. Toss to coat meat evenly and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add vegetables, ale, stock and bay leaves. Bring to the boil. Cover and place in oven. Cook for 1¾-2 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare dumplings. In a bowl, sieve flour and salt. Rub in spread until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in mixed herbs. Add milk and parmesan with enough water to make a soft dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll dough to about 3-4cm thick, and use a 5cm round cutter to cut out rounds. Re-roll dough as needed. Place on a lightly floured baking tray. Spray with oil. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Five minutes before serving, place dumplings on top of casserole and return to oven. Serve casserole with broccoli florets.
Find lightly dried herbs (we used Gourmet Garden) at supermarkets in the chilled vegetable section with the herb pastes. Or use regular dried or fresh herbs.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us