BBQ chicken with spicy chickpeas
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, finely grated zest, juice
- 1 small handful fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1 small handful fresh mint
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 (800g) skinless boneless chicken thighs
- Spicy chickpeagarbanzoX salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- ½-1 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest, juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained, rinsed
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 telegraph cucumber, halved lengthways, sliced diagonally
- 250g green beans, blanched in hot water for 1 minute
- ¼ cup reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
- dukkah, to sprinkle (optional), available in the spice section)
1 To make herb marinade, use a stick blender or food processor to blend marinade ingredients (or use a mortar and pestle to grind ingredients together). Add chicken to marinade and place in fridge to marinate for at least 10 minutes (or overnight).
2 To make chickpea salad, heat oil in a medium-large frying pan over a medium heat. Add garlic, spices, lemon zest and sugar. Sizzle for 1 minute before adding chickpeas. Fry for 3-4 more minutes, coating chickpeas in spices well. Set aside.
3 Preheat barbecue grill to medium or return pan to heat and add marinated chicken. Cook for 4-5 minutes each side or until chicken is cooked. Set aside to rest for a few minutes before slicing in half lengthways.
4 Toss chickpeas with vegetables and season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
5 Divide chickpea salad among serving plates and top with 2-3 chicken pieces, a dollop of yoghurt and a sprinkling of dukkah (if using).
Make it gluten free: Check curry powder, Greek yoghurt and dukkah are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 19g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us