Bang bang chicken slaw bowl with chilli nutty dressing
Time to make: 25 mins
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 star anise (optional)
- 400g chicken tenderloins
- bag vitalbones slaw
- 2 green capsicums, sliced thinly
- 1 telegraph cucumber, cut in 2cm chunks
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 fresh chilli, to garnish
- fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts, to garnish
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice, to serve
- Chilli nutty dressing
- 1 tablespoon canola or sunflower oil
- 2cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tahini or peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
1 Into a saucepan of water, put star anise, if using. Bring to the boil and add chicken. Cover, turn off the heat and let it sit for 5-7 minutes. Check chicken is cooked through, then immediately remove from water and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken with forks or fingers.
2 In a large bowl, place vitalbones slaw, other vegetables and mint. Toss to combine.
3 To make dressing, in a small saucepan, heat canola oil over medium. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add chilli flakes and pepper and cook 1 minute more, stirring. Remove from heat and pour into a small bowl. Let cool for a few minutes. Add vinegar, soy sauce, tahini and sesame oil and mix with a fork. Add a little hot water, if needed, to thin. Add ²/³ of the dressing to the salad and stir through. Stir remaining dressing through the chicken.
4 Serve slaw topped with chicken and garnished with chilli, coriander and peanuts, with rice on the side.