Baked falafels with tahini yoghurt and tomato salad
(at time of publication)
- 1 lemon
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed and drained
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriandercilantroX roots and stems, ⅓ cup leaves reserved
- 2 teaspoons ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg white
- ⅔ cup small flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 400g cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 100g baby rocketarugulaX
- 4 wholemeal pita breads, warmed, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 220°C. Remove rind from half of the lemon. Slice rind thinly. Juice the lemon halves (you will need 2 tablespoons lemon juice).
2 Place chickpeas, onion, garlic, coriander roots and stems, ground coriander, cumin, baking powder, egg white, half of the parsley and half of the lemon juice in a food processor. Blitz until mixture is finely chopped.
3 Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Shape level tablespoons of mixture into 16 balls. Place on prepared tray. Flatten slightly and spray with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and warmed right through.
4 Meanwhile combine tomatoes, lemon rind, coriander leaves, olive oil, remaining parsley and juice in a medium salad bowl. Combine yoghurt and tahini in a small bowl with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water and mix well, using extra water to thin, if necessary.
5 Serve falafels with tomato salad, rocket leaves, warm pita bread and tahini yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free wraps and check spices and yoghurt are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us